Giving Back to the Community
You already know PCH makes a difference by giving away “Big Checks” to winners all across the country, but did you know that we give so much more?
Through charitable trusts created by our founders, more than 40% of the company profits benefit community organizations like the New York Botanical Garden, Lincoln Center For The Performing Arts, the National Audubon Society, The Alzheimer’s Disease And Related Disorders Association, Central Park Conservancy, St. Francis Hospital, The Macula Foundation and Public TV (PBS), as well as many others.
And that’s only the beginning…
Since 2011, PCH has conducted an annual social media charity event, “The Giveback,” involving fans nationwide to help spread awareness and support some of the most crucial issues faced in the world today including taking care of our troops, the ethical treatment of animals and of course, putting an end to childhood cancer. Most recently, in response to the interest expressed by our social media audience, PCH has focused efforts on donations to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®. The 2019 social media charitable giving campaign brought PCH’s cumulative annual donations to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital® to over $1,000,000.
Employees give back, too!
Each year, PCH employees donate their time and efforts to help improve the well-being of numerous communities.
In the past year alone, 120 community-minded PCH employees participated in a dozen offsite volunteer activities.
- Throughout the year, PCHers volunteered to serve lunch, sorted donated food, and worked in the free boutique at The INN (The Interfaith Nutrition Network) in Hempstead, NY.
- For Island Harvest, the largest hunger relief organization on Long Island, NY, PCHers volunteered in the sorting facility and helped to maintain their local garden.
- Organizations that care for our parks, beaches and hiking trails have received support from the Environmental Team’s volunteer activities.
- PCHers in our Portland, Maine office volunteered at the Animal Refuge League.
The PCH Team supported numerous organizations with onsite activities, collection drives and donations-in-kind as well:
- Appliances, furnishings, housewares and clothing that were previously used in our photo studio were donated to housing units for The INN and MOMMAs House.
- More than 2,150 toys from inventory were wrapped by PCHers on Giving Tuesday and distributed to Long Island, NY families through Rock & Wrap It Up, The INN, MOMMAs House and Equity First.
- Two-dozen boxes of books collected by employees were distributed by The Book Fairies literacy program.
- Our first community garden at the company’s Jericho, NY headquarters yielded 75 pounds of fresh produce for patrons of Island Harvest.
- In support of the National Association of Letter Carriers Stamp Out Hunger drive, PCHers donated 308 pounds of non-perishable food items to be distributed to those in need by Island Harvest.
- The gift of warmth came from the collection of 7 large boxes of gently used coats, supplemented with the collection of Halloween costumes for some fall fun.
- 215 pints of blood were donated by PCH employees.
- For school children in need, PCHers filled 250 backpacks with school supplies, distributed by Long Island Cares and the Long Island Coalition for the Homeless.
- “We Care” packages, filled with 120 pounds of Halloween candy were collected and distributed by For the Troops.
- For Veteran’s Day, PCHers wrote more than 100 notecards thanking veterans at the Northport, NY Veterans’ Association for their service.
- North Shore Animal League and Ulster County Canines were grateful recipients of much needed pet supplies donated by employees.
Through volunteer work, donations and generating awareness, Publishers Clearing House spreads smiles and helps others every way we can… because for us, being able to make a difference, is the biggest “win” of all.